To receive meal deliveries with Meals On Wheels
Curious to see how the meals are prepared? click here
Important information to know before you call:
Who may apply for Meals On Wheels?
- Residents of the City of Bloomington
- Residents of the City of Eden Prairie
- Seniors who need a nutritious meal
- Anyone who is unable to cook for himself/herself
- Anyone returning home from the hospital and/or a rehabilitation center.
When does MOW deliver meals?
- Monday thru Friday, between 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- You can receive meals from two to five days a week
- Saturday and/or Sunday meals are delivered with the Friday meals. The meals are frozen and can be heated in the microwave.
How long does it take to get the first meal?
- Deliveries will begin 2 days after completion of a phone application
- Bills are sent monthly for the meals you received the previous month.
What information will I be asked when I call to start meal delivery?
- Name, Address, Phone Number, Date of Birth
- Start date and which days of the week you wish to get meals
- Some information regarding your preferences: regular or diabetic meal, milk or juice, and delivery instructions
- The person who will pay for the meals (you or a family member)
- The person who will be your emergency contact person
- Call our office at 952-835-1665, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m to 1:00 p.m. If you call after hours, leave a message.
Other information about MOW:
Will I get any written program information?
- Yes, an introductory packet comes along with your first meal. You will also get a monthly menu.
What if I won’t be home for a schedule delivery day?
- Call the office 2 days before cancelling your meal. If you call after business hours, leave a message. If you do this, you will not be charged for the meal.
What happens if I don’t answer the door when my meal is delivered?
- We will call your Emergency Contact and let them know you did not answer the door.
How do I stop delivery for a short period of time such as a vacation or hospital stay?
- Call the office ahead of time (at least 2 days in advance) with the dates you will be gone.
Can my application be completed online?
- Not at this time. We are developing an online application
What are the meals like?
- Each meal includes protein, vegetables, starch (potato, rice or noodles), fruit, bread , dessert, and milk or juice
Do you have a monthly menu?
- Yes, we will send you a monthly menu in your food delivery. We are developing a monthly online menu.
The images below tell a typical meal packing “story”. Several days in December 2015 are represented in the scrolling photos below. You can see how the meals are packaged, the way they are delivered and handled before being packed into hotpacks for hot portions, and coldpacks for cold items. Certain meals are calorie restricted, or low-sugar and so on, as conditions warrant. (You can hover the cursor over any image to see an explanation.)
Packing items for each delivery route
Dinner rolls ready to pack
Individual cold bags are decorated
Individual cold bags are decorated
Route pack partially packed
Waiting for meals delivery from caterer
Hot and Cold meals just delivered
Pudding, juice, milk and apple sauce
stacked and ready for meal assembly
Addtional cold items being packed
Cold items packed individually per client
Hot food plates for today
Volunteer drive Denny ready to go on the route
Hot items in hot-packs, cold items in cold-packs, ready for delivery